Friday, February 1, 2008

Praying for Safety

With Matt as the Scout Master I am left at home almost every month for one Friday night campout. Matt is always looking for an adventure, so this calling suits him well. I have found myself worried about him on several ocasions when he has gone out on a hike or backpacking trip with out me.

But tonight was different, the troop was on their way to McCall for the Klondike Derby, and all day I was praying and hoping that the highway would be closed so they would have to cancel. The roads have been horrible this week with all of the snow and rain that we have had along with the freezing temperatures. My prayers for the roads to close were not answered, so I had to change gears and pray for safety. I always pray that they will be safe on thier campouts, but I was especially woried tonight.

What a relief it was when the phone rang a few minutes ago and I heard Matts voice on the other end. He was calling to let me know that they had made it there safely. The normal two hour drive took them three and a half hours on these snow covered and icy roads. They were so happy when they arrived that there were still some cabins available, so they didn't have to dig out a camp spot and set up tents in the dark and snow as planned. There is several feet of snow in McCall right now and is getting down as low as ten degrees at night. Thank goodness they were able to get cabins it would not have been any fun to set up camp in those conditons.

I had initally been more worried when the phone rang so late at night, but I felt at peace as I pidcked up. I am so thankful for the gift of the spirit, because I don't know how I would be able to make it through nights like tonight without it. What a wonderful thing it is to have the comforter always with us.

4 comments:

Karin said...

I hope he will make it back okay!

Matt said...

I made it back. Troop 423 are the Klondike Champions. The boys won the whole event.

Maama & Papa said...

hey congrats!!!!! You are a awesome scout leader, we are glad you are all home safe and sound.

Naylor Family said...

I usually put off my ironing for a couple months, luckily, Justin has lots of polos for work shirts so I can do that, and I find time to blog, because I stay up late at night and in the afternoons when Tyson is sleeping I like to let Tay watch a show and I get some "brainless" activity time for a little bit. I use my blog as a journal, so it's kinda a good excuse to take the time to do it!