Friday, February 22, 2008

ER and RSV

Bailee has had a cough since Valentines Day, it made me nervous because I didn't want Owen getting sick. He is just still so little. I have been extra careful about washing hands and trying to keep Bailee away as much as possible as well as keep her nose wiped. But I guess all of this was to no avail. On Wednesday Owen started in with what sounded like the same cough that Bailee has. Then on Thursday afternoon he had a temperature of 99.6, I called the nurse and she said to keep an eye on it, but that it wasn't high enough o be too concerned yet. Then at about 5:30 he was up to 100.5 so I called the on call doctor since the clinic was closed. He was so rude! After treating me as if I was an idiot He finally got it out that I should take Owen to the ER.
Matt called out Home Teacher and he came over and assisted Matt in giving Owen a blessing. I am so thankful to have the Priesthood in my home. Almost immediately Owen started to relax, I was so glad because our normally good natured and content baby boy had been restless and fussy all day.

We then took Bailee to my Mom's house and headed to the ER. We were able to get right in thankfully. We had a wonderful ER doctor, David Hightower, he was so good to explain everything. I really appreciated it, things usually go right by me in situations like this because I am just so worried. I really felt like I was able to leave understanding what was going on. The did a blood culture, it took four tries to get a blood sample because the tiny veins in Owen's little arms kept moving. The poked his left arm twice, his right arm once and then they finally got a sample out of his right hand. It was so hard as a Mom to see his little lip quiver and then to hear his cry when they would poke him. I don't think that he has ever cried that much before. They also gave him a breathing treatment, which seemed to help. After all of that they sent us home with instructions to get him in to see our regular doctor today.

My mom (thank goodness she works at the doctors office!) was able to get us an appointment at 10 am. When we got there his temp was 100.3, still high. Dr. Hodges recognized almost immediately that it was probably RSV, so he sent us to the lab to have him tested. Sure enough it came back positive for RSV. We were given a prescription for a steroid and were also able to get a nebulizer so we can give him breathing treatments at home.
After some Tylenol, Owen's temp is down to normal now. So now we just have to continue treating him and wait and pray that he gets better soon. We are really hoping that he is better by next weekend so we can go a head and bless him as scheduled.

Please remember Owen in your prayers.

5 comments:

Janae' said...

You will all be in our prayers!! Poor litte guy, that made me cry. Chantelle was in the Hospital for a week with RSV in 1992. I am so glad you are able to do so much at home with your babies these days.. We love you and will definately pray for your family and especially little Owen.

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Oh No! Poor Owen! I hope he gets to feeling better! I'll keep him in my prayers. Let me know if you need anything!
Oh and I have to get this over with so you've been tagged. Read my blog to find out what I'm talking about.

Karin said...

Oh this is sooo sad. I am so sorry. I hope that he will get better fast. Sounds like you got right on it in time. We'll pray for him.

The Thompsons said...

Poor little Owen! I hope he gets better! Things like that are no fun.