Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nightmares

Bailee has had night terrors on and off since she was a baby, but last night she had a nightmare about monsters. It broke my heart when my little girl cam running in our room at 2:40 in the morning saying "Mommy, there's monsters!" She has never gotten out of bed because of one before, usually we hear her whimper for a minute or we get to her room and comfort her before she really wakes up.
I had just been in putting Owen back to sleep and had come back in our room. I wasn't even in bed yet when she came through the door. I couldn't believe how scared she was. I put her in our bed and talked to her for a minute, assuring her that there are not any real monsters. I couldn't go to sleep, I was just laying there watching her. I guess I went into protective mode. But that passed quickly. About 20 minutes later I found my self trying to get her to stop moving around and go to sleep. I figured that she would be in our bed for the night, but then some of the most beautiful words for 3 am came out of her mouth. "Mommy, can I go back in my bed?" Oh! I was so over joyed! Since I do not sleep well with children in my bed I was so excited. We made a quick stop in the bathroom and then it was off to her bed. Once we found her stuffed lamb (which is a new found attachment to her as of yesterday) she was nicely settled in her bed and I haven't heard a peep from her room since then. I am guessing that she will sleep in a bit this morning, it is now 8:25 and she is normally up no later than 8 am.
I am so hoping that this was not the first of many of these nightmares, for both our sakes. It is amazing how when you are a parent that when your child is in need that no matter how tired you are that something inside of you overcomes you to give you the energy and attention that you need to fulfill the needs of your child. I am so grateful for the blessing of being a parent. Even though at this point it seems that there are more challenging moments than enjoyable ones, I am thankful that I have been entrusted with two of Heavenly Father's most special spirits.

2 comments:

Janae' said...

That is sweet

cody said...

poor Bailee. I hope she won't have anymore! You are such a good mom!