Sunday, September 28, 2008

Scrapbook Retreat

This past weekend my scrapbooking girlfriends and I held our own retreat. Rather than paying $150+ for a weekend we decided to have one for $30 at my friend, Anna's house. We all arrived at Anna's around noon on Friday including Stephanie, who came from Pocatello just for the event. We'll just say that our weekend started of with a bang. Just as we were all getting settled with our lunch we heard a frantic knock at the door and our friend Debbie burst in the door to let us know that the house across the street was on fire. We all ran to the door and this is what we saw. We could feel the heat from the fire and as Anna desperately tried to get a hold of her neighbor to notify her house was on fire. While we all stared in shock there was a huge explosion that we are guessing that it was from the car that was parked inside the garage. We were all so startled that I think we each stepped back from the door. Our next few hours rather than scrapbooking were filled with watching in shock as this family's home was destroyed. Thankfully all of the family got out safely and without injury. My heart is heavy and still swirling from all of the emotion that filled me through the event.
We did eventually have to move on with the weekend and as best we could and try to leave the chaos outside. After a couple of hours back in our "retreat" environment we were able to get into the groove of all of the scrapbooking fun. We had wonderful meals and more junk food soda than any of us really needed, but we needed the fuel to keep us going. I had so much fun with all of the girls and it was fun to have a weekend with out the hubbies and kids, even though I know they were all greatly missed. We had prizes and gave each other challenges to keep things going and interesting. We all took turns wearing the pipe-cleaner crown when we would finish pages. What a fun weekend filled with laughter, sleeplesness and lots of other emotion...definitely one that I will never forget.

Anna, Angie, Me, Stephanie, and Crystal
Angie proudly wearing the coveted crown
Anna with the OH So Yummy ice cream sundaes
Crystal kept herself going with her Pepsi
Stephanie always had a smile on her face.Lots of Yummy Food

6 comments:

cody said...

Oh my goodness! How did the fire start? Those poor people!!!!

The scrapbooking looks so fun! Treats, treats , treats! Glad you were still able to scrap!

Janae' said...

That is soo sad about the fire!!! I remember all night/weekend scrapbook parties. Sooo much fun... Glad you can all do that.. Where can I get a few crowns like that?? My primary girls would LOVE them. I have foam ones for them and they are not even close to as pretty as those...

Amy said...

I'm crying now because I miss you girls so much! I really wish I could have been there with you girls! Sounds like the weekend was so fun!
How scary for Anna's neighbors! That just makes me sick seeing those pictures of their house! Glad they are safe.
I miss you girls!

Karin said...

Wow! that is terrifying!

Can I tell you how jealous I am of your retreat!!!!

That looks like Too Much fun!
Glad you could do it, Miss you...do tell us if you know how that fire started!

Kristin said...

That looks like a blast! Although I don't really enjoy scrapbooking, but I do love hanging out with girl friends, so I am envious of that. :)

Tami said...

The news said that the fire was started by one of the boys playing with either matches or a lighter. It really enforces the fact that we have to keep our little ones away from matches and lighters.
We took this opportunity to talk to Bailee about matches and how she is not to touch or play with them. We showed her the house after the fire was out and the pictures. She became very upset and was crying that she couldn't play "mathches". We quickly realized that she thought we were talking about the game Memory and had to show her what matches we were talking about. She was just fine not playing with them as long as she can still play Memory. I love how litteral these little ones are.